Basics of mechanical engineering for Interview
Here are basics of mechanical engineering for interview which every engineer must know
Are you a mechanical engineer? Do you know the basics of mechanical engineering for interview? Here are some of the mechanical engineering basics, every mechanical engineer must know and another reason to learn this is to show off your skills to the company.
Being a mechanical engineer, I want to show you some basics of mechanical engineering for Interview skills which one must have to sustain in a mechanical industry. I have experience in production, quality & product design so here, I will project some basic knowledge & videos about mechanical engineering. Engineering content is widely available on the internet, but it is scattered so my site is mainly a collection of all those hot topics, which you & I keep searching all the time.
Links to the topics about mechanical engineering are provided below and a link is added to American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) so try to understand what is ASME.
Before we begin with “Basics of mechanical engineering for interview“, let us understand what is mechanical engineering. To know about mechanical engineering have a look at this YouTube video from channel The IMechE team.
YouTube Video Credits: The IMechE team
Which is best book for strength of materials?
Which is best book for strength of materials?
Career Path – Basics of mechanical engineering for interview
Let me show you the basic structure of the company workflow and how a Mechanical Industry works. The process I am going to tell you is in general process, many sub-departments are involved with these main departments. So this is an in-general process of any company’s workflow.
- First, a product is chosen for the customer (here customer may refer to end-user of the product, it may be any person or company using the product)
- A concept is developed to present your product to the investors, as no one will fund you unless you have a very foolproof concept.
- Then, a market survey is done on how likely the product will sustain in the market. To say it another way, the products market reach is calculated. Marketers use different methods to find this information, like from person to person, forums, social media, communities, etc.
- Once the market study is done, the product design and development works hard to execute the product.
- In this stage, all the departments are engaged with one another to execute the product. Right from the designers to manufacturers, purchase, sales and quality, everyone strives hard to understand each other, their requirements.
- Finally, a product is executed.
This is just a simple explanation, below I have given a detailed explanation of each department and its functions, so you will understand the responsibilities of each and every department.
Get exposure to different departments and its functions
The marketing department is the most important part of any product development cycle, as it is involved right from the first stage to the last stage of product building. This department knows what the customer wants and how the company can deliver the product. This department has many sub-departments and yes mechanical engineers are also required here. A part of the design team is involved with them to design the aesthetics, part design and other technical requirements of the product. Selling the product in the market is also part of their work.
The core work of the team is:
- Create a detailed study of the market
- Finding the customer needs
- Co-ordinating with other teams on the development of the product, change in strategy, etc
- Creating a strategy to sell the product in the market
- Get customer feedback on the sold products and conveying the same to the other departments
Design and Development
After marketing come the design team, which is also involved in the product development cycle right from the start to end. In the design team also, there are many sub-departments, some are engaged with the marketing team, some with actual parts manufacturing and some with vendors. Every company forms its own sub-department as per requirements.
Designers are required in the preliminary stage to understand, select the materials for the product, understand the design constraints and design aesthetics for the product.
The core responsibilities of design teams are;
- Preparing concepts for the product
- Connect with stakeholders, investors for a deeper understanding of the product
- Create a manufacturable product by checking its manufacturability with production and tool designers
- Once the modelling and drawings are finalised, the same are released for production
- If required, revising the parts due to some constraints in manufacturing
Purchase and procurement
The purchase department comes into the picture once the concepts and technical documentation are ready. They are the one who starts with the actual product. The purchase department first has to calculate the cost required to manufacture the product, it is the tentative cost. Them it is the responsibility of the purchase department to understand the manufacturing needs and decide whether a part can be manufactured in-house or can be outsourced. Setting up with new machinery, materials, similar products is all handled by the purchase department.
Their main responsibilities include;
- Calculating the cost for the product
- Select manufacturer, between in-house or vendor
- For in-house manufacturing, provide with adequate machinery
- In case of vendors; selection of good vendors who can manufacture the product within given time and cost with adequate resources is a major task
- Create a coordination with the designers and manufacturers, to optimise the part to the manufacturer it in best possible manner and low cost
- Finalising rates for materials and vendors
- Suggest designers with similar parts that are already available in the market
Procurement is a sub-division of the purchase department which handles the following tasks;
- Creating a smooth material flow in the production cycle
- Overcome the shortage of materials, understand the downtime of production and maintain inventory accordingly
- Release purchase orders, contracts to vendors
Production can be referred to as in-house or vendor production, and here the most number of people are involved. This is the main stage, where the actual product will be manufactured. All the design, material, manufacturing errors are highlighted by this department with the help of a quality team and a separate team is deployed to solve this issues.
Major areas are;
- Selecting the best process to manufacture the product
- Use minimum resources to deliver the product in the given time
- Understand the available machinery and types of equipment, if required, quote for additional resources
- Calculate the average time required for producing the part
- Maintain the output assuming the downtime of resources
Quality department is the sole of any company or a product, if this department works well, the product will perform well. One single issue in the product, this department is blamed, so the toughest job is to create a process so that the product is manufactured properly. Powered with checking fixtures, gauges and other instruments, this department is all set to find the smallest error in the product. Many quality tools like, TQC, Six Sigma, Kaizen, 5S and more are used to maintain quality outputs in a company.
Hire freelancers on Fiverr
Become a freelancer, start your own business without the need of a company
Explore Softwares you need to know
- Solid Works
- Solid Edge
- Creo Simulation
Programming Language (optional but a plus point if you know a programming language)
Let us understand the basics in Mechanical Engineering
All about Sheet Metal
All about Plastics
Mechanical Engineering Basics is a general website primarily for fresher. Mechanical Engineering Basics page focuses on the development of individuals for starting their jobs in a mechanical industry.
Please feel free to give your suggestions in the comments and do share it with your friends because the more you share the more content I will be able to add to this site. Our main aim should be to educate every fresher with basics of mechanical engineering.
I keep adding topics, so stay tuned and do subscribe to our newsletter.